2020 has been a whirlwind year for all of us globally, enticing us to search questions like what is that, when will that happen? This year has been dedicated to a pandemic of a virus we have never even heard of pre early 2019 and talks of an asteroid hitting the earth in early April. Despite the obvious search topics this year, we still have been searching some pretty random and interesting questions and words too!
So, here are the top 5 searched words in the Netherlands in 2020;
It’s no surprise that this word ranked highest searched word in 2020, let’s face it, it has changed every one’s lives around the globe. It is strange to think that this word wouldn’t have ranked anywhere near top 5 in previous years but due to the tragic events of 2020, it’s all anyone is really talking and thinking about.
RIVM (Rijksinstituut voor volksgezondheid en Milleu) essentially, the Dutch national institute for public health and environment. Similarly, to the top search, this has been searched to find information about coronavirus along with maps and information on the spread of corona and other advice.
- Verkiezingen Amerika
This means the American elections. This was a global event which dragged in a massive audience to watch the election outcome and also the vote process. The vote process also brought a lot of media attention due to the controversy surrounding the counting’s etc. It was a big event and so I am not surprised it ranked so high.
- Coronavirus Nederland
This is basically the same as the top ranking “coronavirus”. However, Dutch citizens were obviously interested in searching on specific news results based on coronavirus in the Netherlands. As is seen, coronavirus really did dominate most of the 2020 top searches in the Netherlands.
“Snappet” is a digital learning platform which was used this year in 2020 due to the corona crisis. It is the e learning platform many students used, as attending school wasn’t allowed through certain lockdown periods to prevent the spread of coronavirus. With most students learning off digital platforms during 2020, “Snappet” deserves its place in the top 5.
This article will continue below the image
Now, I know what you’re thinking, you are wishing I had more facts to share. Well you are in luck because I have some even more interesting searches that made it to the top 2020 searches in the Netherlands! This category is probably my favourite due to the first question. This category is “why….?”
The top 5 “why….” questions searched in 2020 (in the Netherlands);
- Waarom zijn cornflakes uitgevonden? (why were cornflakes invented?). This is just great.
- Waarom hamsteren we WC-Papier? (why do we hoard toilet paper?). Everyone remembers this bad phase of the first coronavirus lockdowns. It’s a good question.
- Waarom hangt de vlag uit vandaag? (Why is the flag flying today?).
- Waarom heet het coronavirus? (why is it called coronavirus?).
- Waarom is de lucht blauw? (why is the sky blue?). valid question.
The next category is "Hoe maak je…?", a category we are all familiar with after spending months indoors;
- Hoe maak je een mondkapje? (how do you make a face mask?).
- Hoe maak je slijm (how do you make make slime?) .
- Hoe maak je een screenshot? (how do you make a screenshot?).
- Hoe maak je wentelteefjes? (how do you make French toast?).
- Hoe maak je ijskoffie (how do you make ice coffee).
Lastly, top 5 films and series searched were;
- Tiger king
- 365 dni
- After we collided